Valentine’s Day – a time for caring and sharing. We don’t need to be told that our dogs aren’t human. We KNOW! Even so they are still a part of our family and there is nothing wrong with taking a few minutes today to just think about ways we can show our dogs we care… so here goes!
- The way to a dog’s heart is through their stomach! Make a batch of treats for your dog. You know everything that goes into the mix. No nasty additives or preservatives if you choose your ingredients carefully. You can even cut them into heart shapes. The dogs won’t notice, but they do look sweet.
- Whisper sweet nothings… This evening, make every gesture and command calm and in a whisper. You will be amazed how much more closely your dog pays attention… as long as you don’t try to do it with the TV blaring and visitors coming in and out.
- The kindest touch… You may be surprised that your usual ‘patting place’ is not the one the dog loves, or often, even likes! Sit down on the floor with your dog and as you stroke them, find their favourite place they love to be stroked. Remember this place because you can use it as a very potent reward. My little dog Bonnie will do anything for a back scratch, even learn new tricks and repeat old ones for this beloved bit of fuss.
- Cute and loveable… no matter how small or big your dog is. We know our big dogs are big fluffly soppy puppies underneath. Teach your dog a cute trick, such as a wave, so that they can show people they are just a big softie really. This is especially effective if you have the kind of breed that makes people cross the street when you approach!
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T … Dog ownership is teamwork. You need to respect your dog just as much as the dog needs to respect you. Show your dog you care by not scaring it into respecting you, just as you wouldn’t want your dog to scare you into doing what it wants. Be charming. Be persuasive. Hold the keys to their heart by holding the keys to the toy and food and freedom cupboard!
In the words of Cat Stevens ‘I love my dog as much as I love you, but you may fade; my dog will always come through’
Happy Doggy Valentine’s Day from us all xxx